13 June 2008

My EURO2008 Halfway Review

I have been, umm, let me see, three days at home. Days at home will pass by very fast, predictably. I wake up probably around 1 or 2, wander around, have my lunch, although usually very late. Before I realize, I'm hungry again for dinner. Then the two daily kickoffs at 12:00 and 2:45 respectively (only for eight days, though - the following days will be 2:45 only). Then sleep. Cycle continues.

My computer is still at the dining room, yet to be reassembled here at home. My wallpaper is yet to be updated. I intend to do that, but maybe later. Now I'm waiting for Austria-Poland match, probably I could use this time to update my blog.

As mentioned in my previous post, I never actually supports a specific national team in a tournament. I only hope for the best entertainers to win, although more often that is not the case. After the first round of group matches, I believe the Netherlands and Spain deserve to be singled out. These two teams played sublime football and more notably incredibly swift and quick counterattacks. Italy and Russia were good themselves, but they were simply outclassed. No shame in losing for both of them. In fact, with the basis of each country's first match performance, I hope the Netherlands and Italy will make it through from Group C at the expense of Romania and France who played themselves to a dull goalless draw, though, thankfully, the only goalless draw in this tournament. And for Group D, I hope Spain and Russia will progress, eliminating the Swedes and the defending champions Greeks who were, to me, much less convincing.

I missed Portugal-Turkey and Germany-Poland because I was sleepy.

But it seems the first round matches are not good indicators. I love the Czechs in the last Euro, but this time around they are lackluster. Still, they managed to chalk out a win. But then, against Portugal, who themselves were excellent I believe in their first match, the Czechs played much better. Although the Portuguese were stringing the passes, the Czechs did manage to threaten the goal occasionally. In the end, Portugal came out worthy winners, so far, the only country to perform well in back-to-back matches. Turkey beat co-hosts though luckless Switzerland with an injury time deflected winner. Portugal are through, while Czech Republic will battle it out with Turkey for the remaining qualifying spot, which interestingly enough, could well go into penalty shootout, in the group stage!

I've just watched Löw's Germany got beaten by Bilić's Croatia. The Croats, like the Czechs, were unconvincing in their opener against the 97th in the world Austria, but still managed to scrape three points. The Germans, I heard, were excellent.

This time around, it was the other way round. Croats played very efficiently and the Germans had not much idea on how to penetrate the defence. This time, winners are well-deserved.

It seems that, after three second round matches, no country is yet to produce consecutive good performances except Portugal, so it might mean the Netherlands and Spain could probably be short of their masterful opening performances, but we'll see. Until then, I will always hope for the best entertainer to win.

So far, who's the star of this tournament? Villa, with a hattrick? Podolski is good, too. He has three also. Or maybe Ronaldo? I've been thoroughly entertained by the daily dose of football, but I would say I am most entertained by the commentator. These days, it is not common anymore for a single commentator to commentate alone on a match, but this guy nailed it. I wonder who he is. He sounds a bit like Floyd to me (the flamboyant chili-loving English chef at Discovery Travel and Living). Though just now the Germany-Croatia match it was not that guy.

"Xabi Alonso is coming on now, the man who could be on his way to Italy, but for the meantime, he is on his way to the penalty box," on Alonso being brought on.

"There we go again. The statistics at halftime must be interesting. The Greeks must have played hundreds of completed passes, most of them between the back four. Oh, now they play the ball forward, but it has gone into touch. No wonder they play the passes between themselves, when they pass it forward, it goes out of play. It's perplexing."

"He scored with his knee, in fact, both of his knees. It wouldn't matter though. He had scored in the European Championships, and he can tell his grandchildren on how he scored the goal for his country, though by that time it could very well be a 30-yard screamer," on Hansen's goal against the Greeks.

Some of the commentaries, I had a really good time laughing. And outside of the hilarious commentaries, he drops the interesting facts, like Casillas might need to reuse his jerseys if Spain gets through to knockout stage. Overall, though the excitement is very much less compared to World Cup, I'm looking forward to enjoy this Euro. My short holiday is just about to get even shorter.

No comments:

Post a Comment