11 September 2008

Dilemma

Liverpool will face Manchester United this Saturday in the Premier League. This match is - to me - the most important fixture in any given season. The only possible match that would have a greater importance is if Liverpool face Manchester United in a Cup final.

And the kickoff is at 7:45 pm Malaysian time. How wicked is that. It is just after breaking the fast, and just before solah Isya' and Tarawih. Man, why 7:45? Couldn't it be some other time? Yea, I know, whatever time they shift it, there will be some Muslims who will still be affected. But why early kickoff? For the love of football, this is arguably the most intense derby in the whole wide world. And you fixtures-makers made it an early kickoff? It should be a grand finale to a weekend, something like a Super Sunday or something. Not a Saturday early kickoff.

So here I am, presented with this dilemma. To go to the mosque, or to watch the match? If I consider the weightage, the importance of both commitments, going to the mosque is more beneficial to my own self. I would be rewarded in scales I would never be able to imagine. Also, commitment to one's Creator is surely more important than a commitment to a football club.

But if I really do go to the mosque, will I do it because of Him? Or I will do it just to comfort myself that I'm prioritizing correctly? If I do it for Him, I would have done it every night. Unfortunately, that is not the case. There are nights that I did not go to the mosque simply due to my laziness. Watching the greatest derby in the world should be a much better excuse to skip Tarawih than my usual laziness.

And another thing, am I going to the mosque every night for Isya' or for Tarawih? Am I going to the mosque every night because it is Ramadhan? Questions are being asked on my intentions. Ramadhan offers great rewards, and it offers an opportunity to change. But will I really change for the good? Or I am just changing for Ramadhan?

The dilemma will still go on, until the final whistle. After all, if the imam is fast enough, I would still be able to catch the last few minutes of the action. But surely it must be really distracting for my solah at that time.

And lastly, I hope that I don't have to shut down my blog anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment