05 November 2008

Rafa's Doubters

And here we are again, at the same post title, but this time with a totally different atmosphere.

I posted a blog post not too long ago with a same title, but buoyant with confidence after the win against Portsmouth. Only two games after that, we are staring down the barrel of two defeats in a row.

And of course, it doesn't take long for the anti-Rafa brigade to come firing again. It is very natural for fans to take swipe at certain people for losing (or not winning) and the obvious target would be the manager. Everyone certainly has the "I'm always right" perspective, and sometimes we are even righter than the big boss. Why don't you become the boss then? Obviously it is not easy. Who would want to hire a nobody with only his FM triumphs in his resumé? If somebody asked why don't I replace Benitez, I would say that I'm only a fan and a fan has the right to criticize.

But I'd rather be an optimistic fan than a pessimist. Pessimists might argue they are realists, and the reality (so they say) is that Rafa will never win the league. (Ironically, last night's draw wasn't even a league match.) I'd rather be on the side that keeps on dreaming for the 19th title to come under his reign, most hopefully this season. It's easy to criticize when you're not winning, but when you're winning, suddenly Rafa's the man. There are some strong-hearted anti-Rafa fans who would still keep criticizing despite winning, and I respect that consistency in their stance, though I won't really agree with them.

Fact is that, I still have faith in him. True enough, there are numerous instances that I would say I don't understand what he's doing (I admit that last night's performance is one of the worst and the result is not justified), but I know he's doing his job (although his job is not always good all the time). I still hope that Rafa will win the title for all of us, and to be truthfully honest, I don't wish to see him get the sack. In fact, I can't imagine that. And, if ever, he is fated to leave Anfield, I don't know who's better to replace him.

I still have faith in him, and I might get ridiculed for that, but hey, people can ridicule me on all sorts of things, even blogging. Go ahead and say what you want, it is painful sometimes, but I still hope that come May Rafa will finally bring the Premier League trophy to Anfield, and if that doesn't happen then I would agree that you have a point. For now, I just have to wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment