21 April 2009

Dream Job

All these grape planting have opened my mind a lot about jobs.

That day I was talking about having a job that can contribute to the society, to the betterment of humankind. Now I want to talk about job that can satisfy our own desires - the so-called dream job.

So what is your dream job? Doing something you enjoy and getting paid for it? Maybe.

But maybe not also. I (used to) enjoy digital designing after a friend of mine roped me into a promotions and publications department of an event. I started learning about designing and I found it fun, but when it turned into work where I have deadlines and stuff and requirements or specifications of the job to be done, it becomes burdening. I also enjoy scripting (or programming) and I did some for one of my favourite games, Ragnarok Online. Then I self-appointed myself as a gamemaster, and then I have to entertain the problems that players of my server faced. From a leisurely time-filling activity, it becomes a commitment and from then on, the 'work' becomes uninteresting.

So does the idea of 'getting paid doing what you enjoy most' is actually appealing? If you enjoy games and you spend two-thirds of your living life doing that, would a game critic be a dream job for you? What if you've been playing first-person shooter role-playing game all along then suddenly you got your dream job and now you have to play some American football or some puzzles and give a verdict on those type of games? Or maybe you're a music diehard fan but now you make a living listening to all sorts of music and give your opinion and only then you realized you're heavily biased towards one genre only and you hate everything else. Or even a job like a Playboy magazine editor might not be so appealing as you thought it might be. You start to get bored with those should-be arousing pictures and your worst nightmare might just loom ahead - lose appetite on women!

By the way, the dream job I'm talking here is all about pleasure of doing the job and nothing about making the money. If you get to travel around the world, eat all those delicacies and make some videos on it, who cares how much you get paid for that. Of course everyone wants a superbig mansion with all those luxury cars in the porch, but I'm not talking about the pay, I'm talking about the job itself, how much you enjoy doing it without caring how much money you'll get out of it.

You know what my dream job is? Well, I have been thinking about this a lot, and only very recently I thought of one. I would really like to be an independent sports pundit. Not those type of people in television, I don't talk that well. I would just like to write. I am a Liverpool fan and probably my views would be very biased, but I also like to try and give some neutral opinions, perhaps on relegation battles or some other leagues or maybe just the insatiable appeal of football itself. And not just football. I've been watching some F1 this season (thanks to the huge amount of time I have at my disposal) and I would really like to put some of my words on that. I also watched some tennis, most notably the Australian Open, and although I don't watch golf that much (I don't watch golf at all) but some players did manage to achieve feats that really impressed me. (Yesterday that crazy fella won his tournament by a whopping ten shots! Go find yourself out who that crazy fella is.)

The F1 advertisements that PETRONAS made are now among my favourites. The advertisements are the pinnacle example of professional videos. These days, wacky ads are more 'appealing', (most of the times they are not appealing, but) it sticks in your mind. Professional-themed ads tend to become more and more boring, but these PETRONAS F1 commercials really hit me. I remembered two (and I think there are more), one of them showed a boxer being punched and then mentioned, "Imagine being under 5G's of force," the other one showed a group of firefighers braving through a fire with the narrator saying, "Imagine being in temperatures of 50°C," or something like that, "that's what an F1 driver is experiencing". The videos ended with a tagline that captured the essence of what they're trying to reach people with the most genius assembly of words, "Human willpower. How amazing.".

Sports is about human willpower, and whatever sports you watch, whoever the athletes, it never ceases to amaze you. And sports showcase the most amazing fairy tales human will ever witness, even the best of scriptwriters can never rewrite the emotions that sports can bring in their fake fictional movies or stories.

In no time I will have a new dream job and probably that's just the nature of human: never satisfied. For now I'm already living my 'dream life' although I do not earn money by living like this, that is, doing nothing (I am well-fed, though). I said this to somebody and I'm glad it inspired him, so I hope to inspire a lot more: "Menganggur skali seumur idop je, so enjoy while it lasts.".

So what's your dream job? (I hate tagging, but this is almost like one. If you want to write about your own dream job, feel free to do so and I would like to hear it!)

8 comments:

  1. hi mie :)
    reading this reminds a lot of my "grape-vining" period. and i DID too post something about the job i wanted to do - if i were given the chance to.

    i am not sure if you remember it, bt my dream job would be to have be Nat Geo / Discovery crew!

    :D

    btw, goodluck! it amazes me how different things, inspire different people :)

    p.s. well to some pp, "menganggur" doesnt really hap once in a life time najmie.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi raje
    tq for commenting, aku actually nak mention kau! i remember about you mentioning mike rowe and his dirty jobs, and his job is certainly a dream job for a lot of people around the world, tapi aku malas nak cari post kau tu utk quotekan kau, hahah
    (i know it might not happen only once, but let's just assume, shall we? next time nganggur lagi, it wont be as heavenly as this one)

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha yea how true! (not as heavenly as "this" one :)

    btw, hows your job offer / quest / hunting going on?

    p.s. or should we talked about this privately!! haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exactly what I was thinking like almost the whole time.

    Surely there's be downside of what we thought as our "dream job". It applies to my situation now.

    Will write in my blog about my current dream job.

    As I've assumed ko tag aku la.haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice, i've tagged somebody XD
    btw zaino aku ade some more ideas ttg that documentary, if you're doing the racial thing
    and to raje, pm me XD

    ReplyDelete
  6. najmie,

    rileks ar, manusia xpernah puas, hahaha gudlak in searching ur dream job,

    ReplyDelete
  7. fly fighters and answer to no one. dude.you're a good writer

    ReplyDelete