23 August 2007

Death

Death. One thing people will not enjoy talking about.

The thing is that most of us take death for granted. We live to such extent that we never have really seriously thought of "Hey one day I might die."

One day we will die. That day might not be very faraway. As a matter of fact there is a chance that you might just die right now. Remembering death, dzikrulmaut, is one of ten mahmudah characteristics one can have. However, not many of us practice it. The truth is, we live like we will die very later on.

OK use this time now to think, "How if I am told that I will die in 24 hours time?". That is a very generous early notice, if ever happened to you. Only death row prisoners and serious cancer patients get such pre-determined death dates. Even that, they still don't know if they can live up to that estimated date. They still have a chance of dying even earlier, possibly choking a piece of chicken, being stabbed by a fellow inmate, being hit by a lorry, beheaded by a flying fan.

So if really you're going to die in 24 hours, what would you do? Probably settle all your debts, say sorry to everyone you've hurt before, and a must - tell your love ones that you love them. But most importantly, make full use of the remaining time to make up your good deeds as a bekalan to the next world - the grave, and Hereafter.

Are you doing that right now? No. I myself admittedly am not doing it right now. Why? Because we simply assume our death will not be visiting us in 24 hours, or any close by time. Am I right? Have you heard the saying "Work like you'll live for the next 1000 years, and worship God like you'll die tomorrow"? Unfortunately we never do that.

OK now imagine you're already dead. This is a hard one. Even I can't do it. But simply imagine the fear of waiting Munkar and Nakir coming to ask questions to you. I have no idea how fierce, gruesome they look like. They'll also bring superbig scorpions and cobras to whack you when you got your answers wrong. Sounds very surreal, and very unimaginable, but it will be very real when we enter the grave.

When I die, I wish that thousands of people will pray for my peaceful settlement six-feet under. I wish that they will pray for me, read stuffs for me and contribute their good deeds to me everyday. The dead must be wishing the same, too. However I never do that to them. I never really read yaa siin or tahlil or even a simple prayer with whole heart that one day I will be needing it in my grave. One day I will need people to do it for me, and yet I am selfishly not doing it to the ceased.

We will all die. We just don't know when. Just make sure when it comes, you're not too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment