14 September 2007

Sucky Series



I've been downloading this series called Sleeper Cell. It is 7GB+ for two seasons.

One thing that attracts me the most is it is about Muslims. Muslims as terrorists, to be more accurate. I wonder if this American series actually depicts the actual life of American Muslims and show to the world what they have been misunderstood, or perhaps to elevate to greater heights of Islamophobia.

It is disappointing to say the Americans will hate the Muslims, and probably forever will. They will always see us as terrorists by believing Allah, and they will not try to change that view, EVEN IF they know the truth.

Early scenes, the main character (I guess) is released from prison, and before that, he gets an advice from a senior Muslim. Better be killed in a battle than to be put back in prison, and all human rules are evil, only God's rules are just. Perfect depiction of a Muslim that they want Americans and all other people in the world to know.

The main character, Darwyn, wears a head cover (kopiah), and when he removes it, there's a dreadlock underneath it. What kind of Muslim who would die for Allah would have a dreadlock? He cannot perform the wajib bath with a dreadlock, and even if he is not 'dirty', having a dreadlock means he does not have a good cleanliness, opposite of Islam.

He met this guy who goes by the name of Abdullah Habib. Before they introduce themselves, Darwyn surprised Abdullah, and Abdullah goes, "Shit. Jesus."

Abdullah invites Darwyn to his daughter's birthday party, where Darwyn meets a hot mama. They shook hands, and even played american football together. They got a lot of contact. Must be fun. Abdullah, meanwhile, while introducing the fellow 'mujahideens', is wearing shorts.

Then there was this scene where everyone is doing the ablution, or wudhu'. They don't even get their faces wet.

The story gave me a sharp turn of perception when I get to know that Darwyn is actually a spy to this group of Muslim extremists. His is still Islam, but is willing to help the government in stopping killing of innocent people. He even denied these guys sharing the same faith as him. Exactly how I see Islam, a religion of peace, killings are only necessary when our human rights are deprived, such as in Palestine. Otherwise, we don't need to kill people pointlessly.

But then, again, I got another sharp turn of perception towards this series, when Darwyn decided to fuck the hot mama he met. The lady's name is Gayle. After the sex, he even confessed that Muslims aren't supposed to have sex outside of marriage. Wow, this guy is really by the book, is he? Then don't he know what Islam has drawn for punishment of adultery?

Earlier in this first episode, Darwyn was assigned by the extremist leader to follow a Muslim girl and report her whereabouts. She was seen going to a party and having fun with a guy. Later, she was stabbed to death by his father. It is very common for Americans and the worldwide, I guess, to believe that Muslims actually kill their children to protect honor. As a matter of fact, yes, there are stupid Muslims who do so, but I wonder if they do know that it is unlawful under the syariah to kill your children just because they taint your honor. Even if your children committed adultery, s/he can only be convicted and punished after a thorough trial in court. Not by your own hands, by your own justification.

And it just gets stupider. The group went to a deserted place, and one of them (not Darwyn, though he is the real traitor in this extremist group) is accused of being a traitor, buried to neck, stoned to death. He did not die of stoning because Darwyn, as an act of mercy and also an act of loyalty to the group, took a gun and shot him.

Then, as I said, it only gets stupider. They celebrate at a strip club.

The story ends there. Darwyn, the real Muslim, managed to get the extremist group leader's trust, and joined the club. I do have curiosity of what will happen to him, how will he cope with his murder etc., after all, that is what series supposed to do to you, to incite curiosity to keep you staying on the series. But I don't think I will ever continue to watch this series. It tries to depict the good Muslim in Darwyn, but also tries to depict the bad Muslims in the extremist group, looking like they (the producers, scriptwriters, whoever) are making a neutral movie, no anti-Islam themes here. The truth is, Americans will only be more convinced that Muslims are stupid, they follow the Qur-an blindly (yes, we do have to believe EVERY WORD of it, but most of them requires interpretations), and ultimately, that Muslims are terrorists.

I don't have a strong iimaan. I really want to know how Darwyn copes with his situation, but I can't. I'm seriously afraid that I will be bought by this American media and started hating my own religion. I'm very fragile. I need more education, I need more guidance. If people come to me and ask about Muhammad:4, I have no idea how to counter it. I believe in every word in the Holy Book, but I don't know how to interpret it. I'm sorry, Allah, I haven't known You that well, yet. I do know Your word is always true, but I don't know how to convince people, or even myself. But I don't wanna die without You.

I've wasted a hell lot of time downloading this American crap. If in any way I have provoked your curiosity in watching this series, I recommend that you don't. Let the Americans hate us, let them try to make us apostates, I can't fall for that. God forbid, please. People can cast doubts to me on my religion because I am not that religious, not that knowledgeable, aalim, but I need to be. And for the moment which I'm not yet aalim, I just need to run away from any form of propaganda that will cast doubts on my faith.

I hate to sound extreme, I hate people to see me as a conservative or close-minded Muslim, but this time I might sound like that. In every series, the first episode is always important to draw the loyal crowd. I felt like they failed to depict the Muslims correctly in the first episode, and I'm afraid if that is the trend throughout the series. I might be wrong, I might be right, but I'd rather stay on the safe side.

May I die as a Muslim. May I die with You.

1 comment: