You know, I love movies. I dedicate 300 GB worth of harddisk for movies only. No, I don't watch series, dramas, animes. Those things are written to keep you occupied, to keep you coming for more. But they seem to fail to rope me in. These things - as I learned in Communication skills - don't leave a lasting effect on me.
Movies do. Brilliant individuals pour their hearts on the script, on the storyline, in directing, in acting. When I say I love movies, it does not necessarily mean I need to go to the cinemas. I'm not that type of movie enthusiast. I just watch it on my PC. That's why I need the storage.
Unfortunately, watching movies require dedication. It is not like listening to music where I can turn on my winamp and play my playlist until I finish eating in front of my monitor. I need to focus both my sights and hears to the movie. And movies are not 3, 4 or 20 minutes long. They're at least one and a half hour long.
And I want to enjoy the occasion. I don't want to watch the movie while I'm sleepy, or when I need to have my dinner or so.
So I got my free time tonight. There's no deadline of any report or assignment whatsoever tomorrow. And Wednesday is a holiday for me (albeit for alternate weeks when I don't have labs). Perfect time to watch some good movies.
What movies do I watch? I refer heavily to imdb.com for ideas. The Top 250 Movies is an excellent list to be referred to. Most (but not all) movies in that list is more than good; they're excellent. But this time, I think I'm gonna watch something from my friends' recommendation. Or maybe they did not recommend it to me, but they do seem to like it. They mentioned it a lot. In my house here in UTP, we even have a kitten that they've named it after the main female character in this movie (I don't know if the name still sticks, I just called her "budak").
August Rush. A kid who has this incredible gift of God to be able to capture every sound as music, and to play instruments effortlessly.
Thing is, I don't get it. What is so good about this movie? It is tedious. You know tedious? Well, I don't know any better word to describe. The video file is an hour and 53 minutes, and it feels very long. Super tedious.
Ya, there're some slow-moving movies that I do love. Pursuit of Happyness, Lord of War. I'm not sure if these movies are slow, but my friends do think so. I still love it, though. But not this. Maybe I listen to too much Mars Volta? That the music the Connelly Brothers play sounds so uncool? And I don't know why a cello (that's a cello, right?) have a solo in a philharmonic concert. And why talking to the moon is the greatest night of your life? But I do get one thing - Louis and Lyla is still connected after 11+ years because of one thing: they have a son. You don't find your one night stand for 11 years. Get over it. But maybe both of them know that they're bonded.
Of course they know. "Eleven years and sixteen days. I have been counting." That's how long the lost kid stayed at the orphanage (or sort of an orphanage, adoption house or something). Then in a separate scene, the mom said, "I've waited eleven years, two months and fifteen days to find out that he's alive. I've been counting." Sure, you guys have been counting.
The kid hears his parents although they never communicate. And the mom thinks she'll play again, so that the kid can hear her. "I know it sounds crazy, but maybe he'll hear me." Sure he does. He's been listening to you for years.
"Did you think anything bad would happen to him?"
"I'm sure he's fine. I prayed for him. Do you?"
"Yeah."
"Well, if his father loves him like he should, then he'll do what's best for his son. You believe that, don't you?"
Excellent script, excellent storywriting, excellent character build up, excellent directing, excellent acting. The only horrible actor is Arthur, I guess.
Movies do. Brilliant individuals pour their hearts on the script, on the storyline, in directing, in acting. When I say I love movies, it does not necessarily mean I need to go to the cinemas. I'm not that type of movie enthusiast. I just watch it on my PC. That's why I need the storage.
Unfortunately, watching movies require dedication. It is not like listening to music where I can turn on my winamp and play my playlist until I finish eating in front of my monitor. I need to focus both my sights and hears to the movie. And movies are not 3, 4 or 20 minutes long. They're at least one and a half hour long.
And I want to enjoy the occasion. I don't want to watch the movie while I'm sleepy, or when I need to have my dinner or so.
So I got my free time tonight. There's no deadline of any report or assignment whatsoever tomorrow. And Wednesday is a holiday for me (albeit for alternate weeks when I don't have labs). Perfect time to watch some good movies.
What movies do I watch? I refer heavily to imdb.com for ideas. The Top 250 Movies is an excellent list to be referred to. Most (but not all) movies in that list is more than good; they're excellent. But this time, I think I'm gonna watch something from my friends' recommendation. Or maybe they did not recommend it to me, but they do seem to like it. They mentioned it a lot. In my house here in UTP, we even have a kitten that they've named it after the main female character in this movie (I don't know if the name still sticks, I just called her "budak").
August Rush. A kid who has this incredible gift of God to be able to capture every sound as music, and to play instruments effortlessly.
Thing is, I don't get it. What is so good about this movie? It is tedious. You know tedious? Well, I don't know any better word to describe. The video file is an hour and 53 minutes, and it feels very long. Super tedious.
Ya, there're some slow-moving movies that I do love. Pursuit of Happyness, Lord of War. I'm not sure if these movies are slow, but my friends do think so. I still love it, though. But not this. Maybe I listen to too much Mars Volta? That the music the Connelly Brothers play sounds so uncool? And I don't know why a cello (that's a cello, right?) have a solo in a philharmonic concert. And why talking to the moon is the greatest night of your life? But I do get one thing - Louis and Lyla is still connected after 11+ years because of one thing: they have a son. You don't find your one night stand for 11 years. Get over it. But maybe both of them know that they're bonded.
Of course they know. "Eleven years and sixteen days. I have been counting." That's how long the lost kid stayed at the orphanage (or sort of an orphanage, adoption house or something). Then in a separate scene, the mom said, "I've waited eleven years, two months and fifteen days to find out that he's alive. I've been counting." Sure, you guys have been counting.
The kid hears his parents although they never communicate. And the mom thinks she'll play again, so that the kid can hear her. "I know it sounds crazy, but maybe he'll hear me." Sure he does. He's been listening to you for years.
"Did you think anything bad would happen to him?"
"I'm sure he's fine. I prayed for him. Do you?"
"Yeah."
"Well, if his father loves him like he should, then he'll do what's best for his son. You believe that, don't you?"
Excellent script, excellent storywriting, excellent character build up, excellent directing, excellent acting. The only horrible actor is Arthur, I guess.
No comments:
Post a Comment