30 June 2008

What a Euro

What a tournament EURO2008 has turned out to be.

Spain won the cup. Deservedly so. Did they play the best football among the 16 finalists? The Netherlands and Russia probably played more exciting football, but Spain were definitely the most consistent. And to back that with statistics, the final was their 22nd unbeaten match, and the draw against Italy stopped their run of nine consecutive matches.

Overall I'm very entertained with the whole tournament. As a neutral in international football, naturally I should probably tilt on Spain's side, a squad boasting four Liverpool players, even more than the likes of La Liga champions Real Madrid and Barcelona. But as the tournament progresses, you can't afford not to like the likes of Netherlands or Russia or Portugal or even Turkey. I always wanted the best attacking team (national team, of course) to win tournaments, but it seems none are showing consistency better than the now champions. Germany on the other hand are a team capable of scoring goals and winning when it matters most, that is, not in the group stages but rather in the knockout stages. Even when they're not at their top form they still manage to hit teams on setpieces and crosses and put behind three goals past their oppositions.

Who is the player of the tournament? Well, I don't know. I waited for the cup giving ceremony, but after the celebration I didn't see any golden ball given away. There are no single outstanding player. Even the matchwinner Torres had a frustrating tournament, being substituted out on almost every match he's played. Well at least he got the winners' medal. Too bad Raul didn't get one.

I pretty much mentioned the top performers in one of my previous roundups, but I missed a few. Hamit Altintop is incredible for Turkey, playing central midfield when he's actually a right back for Bayern Munich, but he won't probably win it, because his team is not in the final. Senna is not as samba as a Brazilian should be, but his amazing string of passes marshalled the Spanish midfield. And of course Casillas, the first ever goalkeeper to lift the trophy as a captain. Fabregas, too, even with his very limited minutes of playing, he's still one of the tournament's top passers. Oh well, I'll know it tomorrow.

I don't know what else to add. The whole tournament has been mindblowing for me. Thank you all for such a show. There are some unthinkable comebacks, incredible goals, lovely flowing play of attacking football, great refereeing, sporting gestures, what else.

In the end the biggest winner out there is football.

3 comments:

  1. hey najmie~
    ive agreed totally~
    great football tournament~
    and spain totally deserved their trophy~
    and turkey really did amazed me with their spirits..altintop, kazim, arshavin..few to mention:)
    and we will be back to club competition kan..glory2:p~

    ReplyDelete
  2. xavi player of the tournament!
    viva espana~

    ReplyDelete
  3. the vacation was awesome!
    thx to u!
    haha wehh buat laa column nk chat kat blog ko.boleh la aku menghavoc kn lg blog ko evendou ko tak suro:P
    nway,xfair ok korg tak update pon blog pasal perhentian:(

    ReplyDelete