I've just watched the movie.
I love writing reviews. And when I write all those lengthy posts, I will happily assume that thousands will be reading it, as if this review is in the newspaper pullouts or something, though I know it definitely is not. However, as much as I love writing it, I'm lazy.
But I have to say this movie is good. Maybe I won't be writing a lengthy review on this. I'll just make this very quick. OK, first impression. Christian Bale is the Batman. You know what he reminds me of? Borden, in The Prestige. And Aaron Eckhart, the District Attorney, Harvey Dent, reminds me of Nick Naylor in Thank You For Smoking. Two of my favorite movies of all time (not that I've watched a lot of movies in 'all time').
But the star? Heath Ledger. No, I'm not saying this because he's no longer here. I've heard how good he is, playing the Joker, and how he deserves the Academy Awards for his performance, but I replied, if he gets nominated, he'll definitely win because that is a very common practice for award committees to honour great performers posthumously. But after I watched this movie, I'll say he deserves the award, and not just as an posthumous honour, but because he deserves it. Incredible.
The movie is almost flawless. I wouldn't say flawless, 'cause two and a half hours is a bit tedious for a movie, but, yup, it is almost flawless. I liked everything about the movie. And as much as I hate superhero movies (maybe I haven't been watching these superhero movies enough) I think everything is logical. Even the possibility of a Batman and Joker as hero and villain in a city is possible. I like the fact that neither of them have any special superpowers. Batman has his vast wealth and some strength, and Joker has the wits.
But what really shocked me was when I checked imdb.com which I always do after watching a movie. After 91000+ votes, it is now the new number 1 movie of all time, taking over the throne from The Godfather. Wow. Maybe Heath Ledger's death did help the propulsion, but what an achievement. A new number 1. And this is not Billboard 100 or US Box Office Top 10, this is imdb's Top 250 movies of all time. By the time it reaches two, three hundred votes, probably the rating would go down a bit, but still, what an achievement.
Hats off.
I love writing reviews. And when I write all those lengthy posts, I will happily assume that thousands will be reading it, as if this review is in the newspaper pullouts or something, though I know it definitely is not. However, as much as I love writing it, I'm lazy.
But I have to say this movie is good. Maybe I won't be writing a lengthy review on this. I'll just make this very quick. OK, first impression. Christian Bale is the Batman. You know what he reminds me of? Borden, in The Prestige. And Aaron Eckhart, the District Attorney, Harvey Dent, reminds me of Nick Naylor in Thank You For Smoking. Two of my favorite movies of all time (not that I've watched a lot of movies in 'all time').
But the star? Heath Ledger. No, I'm not saying this because he's no longer here. I've heard how good he is, playing the Joker, and how he deserves the Academy Awards for his performance, but I replied, if he gets nominated, he'll definitely win because that is a very common practice for award committees to honour great performers posthumously. But after I watched this movie, I'll say he deserves the award, and not just as an posthumous honour, but because he deserves it. Incredible.
The movie is almost flawless. I wouldn't say flawless, 'cause two and a half hours is a bit tedious for a movie, but, yup, it is almost flawless. I liked everything about the movie. And as much as I hate superhero movies (maybe I haven't been watching these superhero movies enough) I think everything is logical. Even the possibility of a Batman and Joker as hero and villain in a city is possible. I like the fact that neither of them have any special superpowers. Batman has his vast wealth and some strength, and Joker has the wits.
But what really shocked me was when I checked imdb.com which I always do after watching a movie. After 91000+ votes, it is now the new number 1 movie of all time, taking over the throne from The Godfather. Wow. Maybe Heath Ledger's death did help the propulsion, but what an achievement. A new number 1. And this is not Billboard 100 or US Box Office Top 10, this is imdb's Top 250 movies of all time. By the time it reaches two, three hundred votes, probably the rating would go down a bit, but still, what an achievement.
Hats off.
No comments:
Post a Comment