30 July 2008

Isra' Mi'raj

So comes this time of year again. Somewhere towards the end of Rajab, signalling it is almost one month left to Ramadhan. And here in Malaysia, certain states mark this date as a public holiday.

What significance does this date mean to our religion? In Islam (and so does all other religions) there are many important dates where a historic event took place which is of great significance to the religion. But why do I always write on this one alone?

First of all, let me just tell you that I'm not very knowledgeable, hence, I don't have much stories to tell. And secondly, out of the limited stories that I know, this one fascinates me the most.

My fascination grows immensely when I go for a ceramah on this topic. This year, I did not go to any ceramahs on this. Instead, I went to see Chelsea against our beloved national team. In fact, I was so ignorant, I wasn't even aware the next day was a public holiday.

Stories like this is a treat to be heard. If you managed to listen to one this year, good for you. If you haven't, like me, then I hope we all will get to listen to it this Friday.

The story is the same. After all, it is history. The things that have happened will never be changed. The only thing that can be changed is how the story is presented. I've listened to so many great speakers, increasing my fascination to the story every single year. And after listening to their story, I always want to tell back the story to others so that they'll be just as fascinated as I am. Thing is, I'm not that good.

When a story is retold every single year, it gets worn out. It gets boring. I'm not good at maintaining audience's interest.

I just hope somebody else will tell the story for you. The tale of a mortal human and the only encounter of humankind with his Creator, and the extraordinary journey to meet Him. And how impossible was the story, it was the toughest test of faith to the embracers, that many of his followers quit on him, but one stood firm and said, "I believe you and I believe anything that you say." And how easy for us to say we also believe it, when we can't even imagine the magnitude of impossibility of that night.

So did (Allah) convey the inspiration to His Servant- (conveyed) what He (meant) to convey.
The (Prophet's) (mind and) heart in no way falsified that which he saw.
Will ye then dispute with him concerning what he saw?
An-Najm:10-12

3 comments:

  1. yes. I was ignorant. am ignorant. Need constant reminder. Nnt cerita la lg najmi. Tq =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I hope we all will get to listen to it this Friday"
    by we i mean males only, sorry ><

    maybe aku takkan citer kot for this year, pasal aku miss ceramah dia, tapi ade byk lg citer yg aku tak ingat in detail, mcm the whole journey to masjidil aqsa, yg dia (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) nampak analogies of org tak smayang, org ngumpat etc

    a wonderful wonderful story, and just hope we all will get the chance to listen to it again

    ReplyDelete