Aren't we proud to be Malaysians? While the world are struggling to find work, to find food, to find fuel, or for some parts of the world, to just even live, we are entertained with our never-short-of-humour politicians.
I guess I'm not too late to comment on the party-hopping case happening recently. Late last year, when the de-facto opposition leader plotted to takeover the country by persuading a certain number of government Parliament seat holders to switch sides, the government was furious, stating that they are the elected government and the decision of the people must be respected. But then early this year certain members of the opposition decided to hop islands and the government came out with a statement welcoming them to join the boat.
And this time, the government did change hands. The people of that particular state voted for a certain government (actually, they voted for three different parties who themselves decided to form a coalition) but now they got a different government. Is this right? So far, nobody is against the constitution, so maybe it is right.
But the former government is refusing to leave his office, stating it is not right. The Sultan decided, the new government has been formed and he shall elect the new state leader. Now the former government is suing the Sultan.
Or so I think. I don't even know the real story.
My first point: OK I'll come back to my first point later on, because I think it requires the most emphasis.
Second, I always have something against these rulers of state (by rulers, I'm referring to the monarchy), ever since I was a young boy. (Oh ya, do you know that Malaysia do have the most number of rulers? Other countries would have only one, if any, but we have, I don't know, fourteen?) I always hate the idea of some person inheriting the power of the land from his father without the consideration of knowledge, leadership, calibre and those things. He rules the state just because he has that blood. That is seriously not fair. As I grow up, my loathing towards monarchy fades away, since I knew they are not really in full power. In fact, in certain ways, probably they are not as fortunate as us. These rulers (and their successors) are subjected to royal protocols and manners that we probably won't be enjoying that much. Although some do misuse their powers, most of them are well-mannered.
And now this guy, I mean his Majesty, is being sued. Mind you, among the numerous rulers here in Malaysia, this one is probably the most educated. And he is being sued. How outrageous the people have become. Or perhaps I should say Malay people. I don't give a damn about rulers being sued if they deserved so. But currently, my first perception is, this is the most educated ruler, and I don't think it would be very wise to sue him. Even if you do win the case, you have done an irreversible image on you.
And what do I think about ketuanan Melayu? That would be a whole different blog post altogether. I have my own views and I do realize a lot of people would disagree with me, and therefore I shall not write it here (because I'm too lazy to fight my own stand). If I do feel like debating (which I'm not that good actually) I should probably go to a forum instead.
So what was my first point? For years, people have voted for the same government, then suddenly the leader changed, and with people more accessible to media such as internet (instead of television or newspaper where it is clearly government-controlled), views have become much wider. So last election, votes are very much divided, gifting several states to the opposition. However, the small majority in the seats has turned politics in this country into a rather chaotic scene. Now, even the opposition's bad side is exposed. The people lost their trust in the old government, trying to vote a new government. Now it seems that the new government isn't any much better either. I missed the voting last time because I hadn't registered yet. Right now, I don't think I can make much difference if I do vote. What these guys are doing will only make the voting turnout even poorer next time around, I can seriously bet on that.
Who cares who leads us? Is anyone any better? Do I see any significant development while someone's in the office? What is significant development anyway? Shouldn't they be concerned about the economics instead? Will there ever be a "Forget about the party, we should be doing it for the people" mentality?
Do whatever you like. For those people who enjoys marching down the street and spending your nights making banners, go ahead with your fascinating life. I just enjoy my life here, unaware with the surroundings, making money (if possible) and watch fake news. As long as we don't become Khmer Rouge, I guess the 'development' that we're enjoying right now is great enough. Anyways, for the Khmer Rouge victims, I hope that justice will prevail.
Yes!
ReplyDeleteI agree 110%!
it's a freaking drama hari ini in our political world.
And I'm despising Berita Utama nowadays. Arent there better news than the circulated pictures of certain someone?
Felt like watching Metro online.
Sigh.
But yeah, as long as we dun develop any cold / dangerous / racist war among ourselves, I can still enjoy the "movie".
Especially in today's gloomy world.
yeap, just chill and enjoy~
ReplyDelete