15 March 2009

Manchester United 1-4 Liverpool: My Verdict

I just can't contain myself.

Liverpool were leading the table heading into 2009, 10 points ahead of United, albeit playing three games more. Since then, Liverpool were guilty of dropping points like pigeon droppings and now United are leading by 7 points with a game in hand.

The midweek Champions League was crucial for the build-up, Liverpool thrashed Real Madrid 4-0 at home, who would've thought that? But my hopes of United being demoralized shattered when Ferguson got the better of Mourinho.

Liverpool must win, while United has the luxury of not needing the win. A win would all but seal their title for sure, but a draw would be an incredible result already, and even if they lose, they would still lead by 4 plus their game in hand. Liverpool, not in the best of situations, need to attack, while United have the luxury to sit back and counterattack if they want to, and everyone knows how good they are at it.

And worse, the next day would be my birthday. I'm putting all my emotions at stake for this one game. If Liverpool win then wow that would be the best birthday gift ever, but if we lose, I don't even want to celebrate my birthday. I wonder, how 'excited' should I try to be when unwrapping the gifts and blowing the candles (if they are any) if Liverpool were to lose on the eve of my birthday to - of all the teams - United, who happens to be the most supported club in my family; my father, brother, and countless of my cousins, all Devils.

I was nervous the whole day. How my reactions would be the next day? I was going through my clip collections, and wondered, would I still be happy watching Babel's goal (the winner at Anfield) after the match? What if there won't be any happy ending this time around?

As for United, they've been in fine class. A record-breaking clean sheet run, a winning streak (interrupted only by a goalless draw at San Siro). People have been talking about the team being the best team in the world, carefully assembled over the years and now have gelled to perfection. It is quite unnerving.

Then, the real deal, the match. I watched at Tropicana, an LSCM (Liverpool Supporter's Club Malaysia) port. It really sucked to go behind against a team like United. The penalty decision was spot on, and there were minority United fans who wanted to show they were brave enough to cheer their team in the sea of Liverpool fans. I won't go into detail on how my emotions were throughout the match, but the rest of the match, I was just jumping and clapping all the time. I clapped so hard, the tip of my fingers were cold at the end of the match (due to lack of blood circulation, if you would want an explanation).


First off, why Alan Wiley? Why not Howard Webb? Well, he very much proved he was a very good ref. Even that was an understatement. He was immense. Referees often get into the limelight for all the wrong reasons, and when they do it right, they rarely get the credit they deserve. Alan Wiley was extremely excellent. Howard Webb is good, and he stamps authority very well, but it is very difficult for him to give penalties, as he (seemingly) prefer to settle the scores from open plays, but Alan Wiley showed exactly how to give penalties when they should've been given. I was gutted about the penalty that Reina conceded, but the man in black got it spot on. There were none at all that I could disagree. And same goes to Gerrard's penalty, there's none at all that United fans could disagree.

And to sent off Vidic in front of the home fans is pure guts. But again, he got it right. Vidic was not the last man, but he definitely deliberately prevented a goalscoring opportunity, and that defines a professional foul.

And to Vidic, I feel sorry for him. I seriously do. Generally, I hate all United players (and everyone who decides to wear a United jersey or t-shirt) but I do respect them and their class. For all their achievement of the record-breaking clean sheet run, I seriously think Vidic is the most deserving man for the credit and not van der Sar (although he himself needed to be exceptionally good for that feat). It is beyond prophecy that of all men out there, it would be Vidic who would have made the errors handing Liverpool's goals.

Aurelio's goal, it was so sumptuous, it rooted van der Sar on the ground, and the whole place paused for about one second before we realized it was a goal and celebrated. And Dossena, wow, of all the people. He has been quite a horrible purchase for a fullback, but he suddenly seemed to be enjoying running forward when Liverpool were in the huge lead, and it paid off with his first goal against Real Madrid. He did it again, but this time, with far more style, chipping the goalkeeper who just had his goalmouth shut for fourteen hours a week ago.


He deserved credit. In fact, I think all the Liverpool players involved in the midweek and this weekend deserved credit. The likes of Babel and Lucas and Dossena (and some others proabably) were on a very bad patch of form and under heavy criticism, and their display showed what they are really capable of, and all they need is confidence.

A week ago, who would've thought Liverpool would put four past Real Madrid and again four past the seemingly-invincible United at Old Trafford?

A win at Old Trafford would certainly be my best birthday present, and I hoped for that ever since the fixtures was released early this season. A win, over United, at Old Trafford, what could be better than that? Beyond my wildest dreams, Liverpool did make it better - by winning it with style. John Dykes said, "It don't get any better than this", and yes, this time, I don't think it could be any better.

Yup, still no title, but certainly, nothing is won in March (except for League Cup). I won't say now that Liverpool might win the title, because I seriously think it is very unlikely, but at least now the red half of Manchester have been demoralized, and it could spell for more points to be dropped towards the end of the season. As for Liverpool, two four-goal hauls against world-class teams of Real Madrid and Manchester United, you can't boost your morale better than that.

What a birthday present, my best birthday present ever. And I don't think even if I would live till over 60 that I would ever get a birthday present better than this.

M5, RM 900k, a helicopter, probably something around RM 8m, a tropical island, more millions. A 4-1 win at Old Trafford. Priceless. Absolutely priceless.

6 comments:

  1. Dude..this is very hard to say la..
    But seriously well played. And I couldn't get any dissapointed with MU players (esp defenders) than last night. But the likes of Torres and Gerrard really made them restless.It's not over for Liverpool and MU yet. Just pray the best team wins (which MU wasn't last night. Hopefully just that one night la). Happy Birthday! I'm glad it isn't my birthday. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dude,u got the best burfday present ever...i really do envy u...hahaha....YNWA~~

    p/s:waaa,ada pict aku~~
    *wink wink*

    ReplyDelete
  3. semua nk dude,aku pun nk dude lah..happy bufday mie,aku baru nk kasik m5 kat ko,tapi cam ko rase dpt hadiah lagik best,aku kasik kat org len dah..its ok,tahun depan mintak lagik ye m5,aku kasik. zmn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I KNOWWWWWWWW!!!!!
    and i was at KB attendding a friend's wed when the game was on!!

    even all my friends knew that i literally "Wasnt there" the whole day.

    cool gile siot. TRULY.

    even now i cant stop smiling :)

    way to go Kopites! :)

    YNWA

    ReplyDelete
  5. *FEELING SILLY*

    and YES. Happy belated!
    Semoga panjang umur murah rezeki (and that we'd be better by each game :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. fak man, wink2, gile ghey

    kpd sumer yg wish aku hepi birthday, tq2, dan sori kerana aku takkan ingat birthday korang, hahah!

    ReplyDelete