29 November 2007

Liverpool 4-1 Porto: Flattering

Where to start?

When you're under pressure to deliver, sometimes things are easier to crumble. It is good that Liverpool registered the win they required, but 4-1 is a bit too flattering. I enjoyed it, though.

Let's start from the kick-off. Rafa named his strongest 11 to start, and somewhere in this season, I have started to become very skeptical when the strongest starting 11 is laid down. Quality on the bench is important to change uncreative game play, but when the likes of Benayoun, Babel and Torres are all on the pitch, you can only hope things go right right from the start or otherwise it is very hard to bring on some inspiration from the bench.

Secondly, I love Martin Tyler and Andy Gray. To me, these two are the best commentators to lighten up a game. I have countless moments where I wanted to quote what they said here, but I can't remember them all. (Most football video downloads are from BBC, though, which is quite unfortunate. Tyler and Gray are from SkySports.)

Group A is the tightest group, I believe. Liverpool greeted Porto, needing a win, but a draw might still be enough should the other match resulted in a draw, too. However, regardless of whether they win or lose, they still have to win at Marseille.

Liverpool took the lead through some bad man-marking by Porto. Then Porto equalized against the run of play.

"Liverpool have become so dominant over the weeks that suddenly when they concede a goal, they look unsettled."

Martin Tyler said something like that, and that is how it was for the next hour or so. Then came the moment of brilliance from the £20 million man.

And to be honest, that was the only goal that Liverpool really worked for. That's why I said the scoreline was a bit too flattering. They opened and closed the scoring account from two corners, which both Porto defended horribly. The other one was a penalty from a deliberate handball.

But overall, it was a good performance. Liverpool have been dominating, they have been creating openings into Porto's box, they just couldn't find the magical pass or finish to put the ball past the keeper. When the breakthrough comes, they started to enjoy themselves. Against Beşiktaş, Liverpool scored two in the first half and six in the second. This time, they scored one before the break and three after. When the goals started to come, it is easier to follow up with more.

And Crouch scored his first goal as a substitute in 18 months! Congratulations. I should've never doubted the class of the bench (even though I still wished Kuyt did not come on).

As Group A stands, Liverpool can put the fate in their hands by winning against Marseille. Amazingly, they can still progress with a draw, but that'll require Beşiktaş winning against Porto. That would be very bizarre.

Let's hope for the straightforward: Liverpool for a win.

2 comments:

  1. fantastic goals.
    u see, torres heard it when u say he missed ALL the chances in last game.

    i feel like a handicap here in utp.
    cant watch all the games.
    which is f*g sucky.
    =/

    ReplyDelete
  2. go boro ppl's car la :P

    yup gud thing torres heard me XD
    this is the time to enjoy liverpool
    when they're in such rich vein of form it is irresistible to watch them
    just hope it'll continue like this till may
    gillett and hicks, i hope you can have more passion
    lfc is a football club, not a business entity

    and i just realized another fact: the second half goals, six against besiktas and three against porto was all in front of the kop
    they should pay more than the anfield road end XP

    ReplyDelete