04 December 2007

Liverpool 4-0 Bolton: Irresistible

It is a very late post on an already historic event, but...

Yeah, that raised a question. Why should I post? It is stale already. Basi. In fact, minutes after the final whistle at Anfield, leading news websites had already published their version of the game in their pages. Few hours later, you can have detailed analysis and views from pundits. These writers are much better and definitely of higher expertise of football than me.

Then should I bother to post? Yes, because I present the match from an honest view of a fan who shares his perspective from a country faraway from the actual game ball, expressing emotions among his fellow Reds fans who shares his joy and sometimes pain.

[Often in my Liverpool posts, I like to put on some images to spark the page and to conclude the match in one viewable piece of graphic. I found one majestic picture of Gerrard raising his arms high, coolly celebrating his goal from the spotkick. Unfortunately, GettyImages licensed that picture and the free version is watermarked with a transparent gettyimages writing across it.]

"When Liverpool is in such rich vein of form, it is irresistible to watch them."

I quoted that from myself XP from a comment from the 4-1 win post against Porto, and though I hate to quote myself, I can't help it but to use the exact same sentence. Watching Liverpool has been a commitment to me, but often I hope it'll be more of an entertainment. Right now it definitely is.

OK what to comment? Torres is magnificent. Incredible calmness and technicality for Liverpool's second. Every fan envies the Reds to have him, and the opponents would definitely be worried of him even if he does not score. 11th goal in 17 games, the money paid is starting to look like a bargain.

But the main reason I did not put any pictures this time around is because I could not get a picture which sums up the match. Most (high resolution) pictures featured Torres, but to me Man-of-the-Match has to be Gerrard. He is immense. Gerrard has been showing world class displays over the years, making him mediocre when he is not up to his best, but the past two matches underlined his superiority and his ability. Gerrard is not the type of player that sells Nike ads with classy skills, but his accurate passes and crosses, darting runs and, of course his thunderbolts justifies his paycheck. He fed an incredibly tricky ball into the danger zone for Hyypia's goal, but the cream of the crop is his assist for the second. The 60-yard pass (some news pages quoted as 70-yards) must be in the run for the pass of the season. He made a few shots for himself before adding his name to the scoresheet with a coolly taken penalty. That is his third penalty conversion in four games (the first two was to his right, but when Jääskeläinen dived that side, Gerrard sent him the other way), fifth goal in five consecutive matches and eight in his last nine Liverpool games. Yup, penalties do add the goal tally, but it takes courage beyond what you can imagine, technical ability, and above all, calmness to convert that 'easy' job.

Lucas Leiva is beginning to shape up like the man he is filling in - Xabi Alonso. While I adore Mascherano, I would say Mascherano is an brilliant tackler, a ball winner, while Lucas spreads his passes beautifully. Sometimes people might wonder why Rafa keeps on buying central midfielders, but the class available at his disposal right now, he is able to cope with injuries going through a potential 60+ games a season.

Crouch-Torres, the dream partnership, has yet to prove its worthy, but hopefully more starts together will bring in more understanding between the duo, and ultimately more goals. Rafa will have a tough time convincing Gillett and Hicks to spend £18 million (in signing Mascherano) and at the same time not making £10+ million (in selling Crouchie).

A bit too long I guess? Well, that is all from my thoughts. I might have more to share, but most of them are the same as others. You can read all other people's views elsewhere. To win against Marseille or Manchester United? Well, I'd prefer both.

No comments:

Post a Comment