26 November 2007

Majoring; What to Take?


Course registration time. Dilemma again.

Right now I'm doing petrochemicals in my internship. This experience should have an advantage for me to take on petrochemicals in my final year. In fact, I almost made my mind. Then suddenly something came to me.

What if, I'll earn less just because I did not take petroleum?

Probably by not taking petroleum engineering, I'll miss the chance to work for companies such as Schlumberger, Shell, Halliburton, Baker Hughes and who knows what else.

Money wise, and nothing else, what should I take?

Now consider everything else, what should I take?
Pros of taking petrochemical:
- life in a petrochemical company is incredibly simple,
- what I've learned (in chemical engineering) has something to do with petrochemical, petroleum looks like more mechanical to me
- I might be able to earn bigger salary if I go to the Middle East,
- exploration companies either mean shirts and ties or oilrig, which means could be either boring or too challenging (faraway from your wife XP).
Pros of taking petroleum:
- Topek and Pai will take petroleum,
- if I were to earn more, work culture in western companies is better than the Middle East companies,
- more allowances, I believe,
- hmm, looks like petrochemical have more pros than petroleum, but I'm still heavily bothered by the money prospect.

I have no idea how many people would be interested in helping me out making the decision, everyone else has the same dilemma, too. But I'd really appreciate any advice, anything at all to make me feel better about my choice. Currently, my preference is petrochemical, but if that means you guys taking petroleum will earn twice or thrice the money I make, then I'm really bothered!

16 comments:

  1. lol. already bothered by the prospect of money?

    I can't comment much coz of my lack of knowledge about engineering in particular, but, if you take petrochemical, can't you go for Schlums and all?

    I believe you can, actually. Majoring is not really an issue, because it seems that industry don't really put majoring as a priority. As long as you get the title Degree in *** Engineering, then I believe you can still apply for it.

    I'd go for Petrochemical. Take it like this - if you take petrochemical, you can go for both petroleum and chemical engineering (from the name of it, I guess you will be learning both of it, but not in depth for petroleum). If you take petroleum only, then you will be stuck in petroleum only. Isn't that so?

    So why limit your choice when you can create more options for you? Its only degree, so you are not "stuck" yet with specialization.

    Its better to start your specialization when you got a career. And interest is much more important then money, because if you do something that you don't really like, even though there are money as a motivation, you will feel more burn-out throughout your career later on.

    And do you really need to be like others, by joining others?

    Just some advise from a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAH! TQ DOOD!
    really appreciate that

    yup, interest should be a bigger consideration than money
    i'll go with that

    again, thx
    looking forward for more feedbacks XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think,

    The first thing u need to consider when making decision like this is what u really want. My friends and I had asked someone about this, (actually i was not the one asking, it just happen for me to be there) and then she asked us back, 'what is your interest?' I do believe that, you will satisfy with your life if you work because of your interest for that things not for money or to satisfy/follow others.

    Yup, you still need to consider others opinion especially those who had already in this 'working life' for a long period. Maybe you can ask your SV, lecturer or engineer there.

    I think i have some comments about all the majoring courses. Maybe i can forward it to you later. Really hope it can help.

    No need to worry. Make a choice, work hard, pray hard and insyaALLAH you'll success.

    This my first ever comment. Though, i never gave any comment before but i really like to read your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't put money as a measurement. The money will come.

    Anyway, you may talk about this and that now, nanti entah apa apa dapat kerja and you'll just need to do it - eventhou u donno a hell of it.

    So put interest first. If you can do something you're interested in, than it'll be your strength - of far better: your niche

    ReplyDelete
  5. thx for the comments (or rather, advices XD)
    welcome ros! hope you enjoy it here ^^

    but actually interest is quite out of context for me
    i just realized that i hate to be an engineer, but it took me too long to realize this
    now i'm stuck in a 10-year contract

    if i'd go with my interest probably i'd be opening a seafood restaurant or a cybercafe or something

    hmm interest..
    or money?
    i'd be interested in a job that pays well :D
    (even though actually i know i don't deserve to talk about money, because i don't think companies will go berebut for me to work for their company XP)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi nashmie...

    at first, aku mmg rasa aku nk keje ngan pet...but during this intern, i found out dat aku suke jd engineer, like to see the progress of construction, how the indon do their work, site meeting..gosh..it is gud to be civil engineer...

    then, somehow aku sedar, i wanted to futher as a civil engineering..though sblm intern, aku nk sgt amik PE, tp skang, yg penting pd aku adalah akunye interest and akunye masa depan...somehow, i can see myself as a civil engineer and hopefully not as an executive in KLCC...well thats another chapter i think...

    for the time being, i rather live in a hope that i would be civil engineer..and minoring in civil department and not PE...

    well...tetapkan hati ko and jgn pandang belakang n regrets..sbb setiap jalan tu ada baik and buruk dia...

    ^^

    ReplyDelete
  7. err..hai najmie!
    Jom la amek PE! (keh keh keh)
    If you amek PE pun you boleh pegi middle east. pai ngan topek amek PE means u'll hv easier life if you amek PE too, kan? Class won't be fun without you. We won't be having much classes together anymore unless amek same management course. that sucks lar.

    XD

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, i did not expect this much feedback
    can't really express how i appreciate it

    thx paan, yes, i can't look back
    but i can't help it
    now i have to try and make the most as an engineer

    to mira, if i take PE, i don't wanna go to middle east XD
    i'll work there like indons work at construction sites here
    i wanna go to companies i listed above, make some 5 figures
    and yup, i mentioned topek and pai because these are the two guys that have made my life easier
    but as said from a very close friend of mine (you can guess who XD) "problem nye, sampai bile kite nak bergantung kat diorang, hahaha"

    again, thx a lot to everyone
    you can still post in your suggestions and advices (i can still add and drop next semester) but as for now i think i'll register for petchem

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1. ok ar tu ko ade keyakinan yg utuh nak amik petchem. cuma kadang2 digoyahkan oleh pengambil2 course PE. org ckp intuisi pertama selalu betul

    2. y put indonesians worker as example?? takleh ke letak labour worker?

    3. "i'll work there like indons work at construction sites here" hurm..tanpa diorang takde bangunan kot

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow mobs tq for your 1st comment here!

    1. ko amik ape
    2. sori, tak berniat nak racist atau nationalist, tapi nak tunjuk yg diorang keje sgt keras dan aku tanak keje mcm tu ><
    3. aku tak menghina diorang, tapi as mentioned, aku tak sanggup keje cam diorang, dan aku takut kalau gi negara arab, aku akan keje cam diorang ><

    ReplyDelete
  11. err, i'll tell you what. SLB ppl dun work like labour workers. not all. not if u r the engineer. but u msti la pegi field. but then they have InterAct. u can make decision from office, tayah pegi field, still leh tgk real time data. cool.

    if u work with shell, u r expected to be damn good and u get to boss around. cam petronas gak. only more efficient. u msti pegi field but u dun do the labour work. unless u r the technician.

    haha

    mane2 jek, SLB tak kesah kot major ape ko amek...

    ReplyDelete
  12. huh. dak engine tatau SLB ape? no wonder ko baru sedar u hv no interest in it. haish~

    ReplyDelete
  13. selambaje...tu la slb...

    indonesians workers work hard because they have to..cane nk makan if tak keje..org yg tak sedar diri je curi tulang and at the of the month dpt paycheck...

    klo bole, diorg nk ke keje cam tu..sapa2 yg waras pon tak nk keje cam tu..hihu...

    and kawan baik ko cam aku kenal...
    kem salam kat dia...

    (^^)

    ReplyDelete
  14. tq for clarifying paan

    btw kawan baik aku yg ko knal? ramai kot
    yg mane

    ReplyDelete
  15. haha...tape²..

    (^^)

    4 weeks to go..ada ura2 dak ni nk convoy on 13th..tatau a...see the bulletin at fs later...

    ReplyDelete