"They come in all of shapes and sizes," Martin Tyler on the seventh.Liverpool finished with eight, one better from Arsenal who just broke the Champions League record for the biggest win margin.
I've learned my lesson from the previous seasons to never miss a Liverpool match, because you might just miss a memorable one. This is indeed one of them, and how grateful I am to be watching it.
My friend SMSed to me, had Liverpool played like since the start of season, we would've leading the league by now. Of course. But performances like this only comes once in a while. While it is definitely entertaining to watch Liverpool score six or eight past the opposition's goalkeeper, if they could distribute those goals to the dull 0-0 draws , we would've garnered more points. "No matter how much they score, it will still be three points."
Man of the match has to be Benayoun. He scored a hattrick, take nothing away from it, but I laughed when he slotted in his third. Another rebound, almost the exact replica of his second. Lucky, might be, but he still needs to have excellent positioning and composure to do that. I hate Israelis, but when he puts on such performance, it is hard to forcibly hate him. I vote him man of the match not for the three goals, but for the two assists later on. First, for the cheeky Babel backheel and the second, icing on the cake for Crouch to make it eight.
Babel could've had a hattrick on his own, a would-be amazing feat considering he only came on as a substitute. He scored with a backheel and with his back, but crashed the post for his possible third. I wonder if he had to share the match ball with Benayoun if he did score that one? But Champions League uses lots of match balls unlike in England. So maybe they can have one each.
It is a good feeling right now. Hope Liverpool will find their rhythm and start scoring for fun in the later stages of the season. And for this Champions League, they have to qualify for the knockouts. Otherwise, they will become the team who broke the biggest winning margin for nothing. If Liverpool wins the next two matches, Liverpool will certainly be in the next round. They can still afford to draw one of those two if things go their way, but let's put the fate in our own hands than others.
hmmm...hmmm...
ReplyDelete8 is too much!
^___________________________^
ReplyDeleteya know, it wasnt that bad 3 loses so far (including all competition) but maybe the fact that we lose unexpectedly which make it worse Port 2-4, Merseille 0-1, and Beksitas 1-2.
and not to mention countlesssss of draw... again to the team, we should draw at all.
anyway, this brings smiles.
we shouldn't* draw.
ReplyDeleteI would really like to write part two of this historic moment, but I thought it would be too much. Man United fans would brag about their big win at a much higher stage (quarterfinals) while Arsenal would claim the previous record they held displayed much more entertaining fluid attacking football. (I don't really care about Chelsea fans =P but congratulations on your win over Man City). So I'll just write a really lengthy comment. XP
ReplyDeleteI thought football is entertainment. Well, it is. But it is much more than that. To such extent, I don't really know how to describe it.
I would watch Liverpool play every match hoping that this time they'll put on an entertaining performance, that when they score a goal, it will be such a satisfying rush of adrenaline. Truth is, dreams like this doesn't come easily. Watching Liverpool can sometimes cause more pain than joy.
Then why keep on supporting Liverpool? Well, I don't know, but I can't quit. This is no drug; it is stronger.
Wins like this is such a morale booster, not only for the players but for the fans, too. I can't really describe how happy I was the next day, but even things don't go really well during work, I can still smile widely and say "At least Liverpool won 8-0."
Clips like these, this 8-0, the 6-0, or Alonso's goal from his own half, Gerrard's equalizer in the FA Cup final, they can always cheer me up any time of the day. If I wake up all groggy and lazy, when I watch these clips, it gives such a refreshing spirit to the day (though I will still remain lazy XP).
Last night I stayed up until 3 to watch Liverpool against Fulham. They frustrate us for 80 minutes before Torres flicks his magic. Wow, what a feeling. I've been longing this feeling for so long. So long.
Liverpool affects me a hell lot in my level of happiness. And I still hate the fact that one of my happiest moments in my life is not by my own achievement, but of Liverpool's.
hahahaha najmie! i sure share alot of ur sentiment here :):)
ReplyDeletewell let's be fair.. i think most of football fans regardless what team they support, would have feel the same.
i love and support from heart felt. it cant be describe. altho players come and go... i cant leave the feeling alone. maybe the players shouldnt leave too :P
p.s. i'll comment bout last nite match on the next post XP
honestly speaking, i dont think fans of other clubs feel like we do
ReplyDeleteliverpool fans go through much more pain than them
liverpool often play very boring and dull, inflicting such pain to their supporters, sometimes (it has happened twice, or maybe more, to me) to the extent that i felt "maybe i'll enjoy more if i support some other club now"
(i hate to admit these facts to other supporters, because it'll make liverpool look inferior, but honestly, sometimes they are)
so when liverpool entertain, the value is higher
liverpool fans enjoy more of a 4-0 win than mu fans watching their team winning by the same score
and when we win silverwares, we certainly win it in style, much to the excitement of the fans
liverpool's fa cup over arsenal (when owen score twice in the last ten minutes), insane 5-4 uefa cup final, league cup over united (any win against mu is extra sweet), and of course the 3-3 'wins' in the champions league and fa cup
to top it up, we have the best cheering song in the world
you'll never walk alone will always make your hair stand, either after a 6-3 defeat or an 8-0 victory