Note that in the previous post, I said that something big is coming up. It is future tense, not past. I wanted to write about this, but I feel ignorant if I did not write about Maulidur Rasul, so I decided to make it a separate post.
Grand Slam Sunday. That is the promotional tag they gave for it. These last few seasons, they have been pitting the big four facing each other on the same weekend.
I don't mind about Arsenal or Chelsea. OK, actually, yes, I do mind. But not as much as Manchester United.
To me, this is the biggest match throughout the season. No other match compares to this. Not even Everton or any Cup final for that matter. Every season, Liverpool plays close to (or maybe even more than) sixty competitive matches, and only two are the most important matches. This season, there is only one potential match that can be bigger than this: if Liverpool meet Manchester United in the UEFA Champions League final.
One thing I love Gerard Houllier over Rafa Benitez, he frequently wins over United. Rafa fails to do so! It is frustrating. No, frustrating is an understatement. The emotional breakdown when losing to them is indescribable. This blog was closed for a few days last time we lost.
In sporting rivalries, I don't think there is any other that is bigger than this. Maybe Real Madrid and Barcelona is comparable. In Football Manager, there is a hidden stat that states the rivalry between two clubs. Using the editor, one can see it. On a scale of 100, the rivalry between these two is 101, and it is uneditable.
To be honest, no one predicts a Liverpool win. Not even from the Liverpool fans. But those who do predict for a Liverpool win are actually hoping for one. The thing about Liverpool is, never lose hope. I read in liverpoolfc.tv official forum, someone said that in post-Dalglish era, we always hope. Against Juventus leading to our 2005 Europe triumph, there was this one banner which remained to be my favorite ever. "Make us dream." Nothing, in three words, can ever be so meaningful than that. Liverpool used to be the team to beat, Liverpool won seven league titles out of eleven throughout 1979-80 to 1989-90, Liverpool won three European titles in five seasons from 1976-77 to 1980-81. Now, truthfully speaking, we are no longer of such superiority. Still, it gives me great pride in supporting this club through thick and thin. I don't think what we've experienced as a Liverpool fan is comparable to other clubs out there. Liverpool is not the best, but supporting them is better than the best.
I hate to anticipate a defeat, I will not anticipate for a defeat. When was the last time Liverpool scored against ManU? Crouch? In FA Cup? I think so. But Liverpool never stops creating chances. This time (just as any other times) we have to put the ball in the net. Then we'll have confidence. And a great indescribable joy to me, and my fellow Liverpool fans.
The greatest weekend for me is when Manchester United lose and Liverpool win. It happened that week, when Portsmouth defeated United in the FA Cup and Liverpool won against Newcastle. Now it can happen again. Let us hope for it.
You'll Never Walk Alone.
Grand Slam Sunday. That is the promotional tag they gave for it. These last few seasons, they have been pitting the big four facing each other on the same weekend.
I don't mind about Arsenal or Chelsea. OK, actually, yes, I do mind. But not as much as Manchester United.
To me, this is the biggest match throughout the season. No other match compares to this. Not even Everton or any Cup final for that matter. Every season, Liverpool plays close to (or maybe even more than) sixty competitive matches, and only two are the most important matches. This season, there is only one potential match that can be bigger than this: if Liverpool meet Manchester United in the UEFA Champions League final.
One thing I love Gerard Houllier over Rafa Benitez, he frequently wins over United. Rafa fails to do so! It is frustrating. No, frustrating is an understatement. The emotional breakdown when losing to them is indescribable. This blog was closed for a few days last time we lost.
In sporting rivalries, I don't think there is any other that is bigger than this. Maybe Real Madrid and Barcelona is comparable. In Football Manager, there is a hidden stat that states the rivalry between two clubs. Using the editor, one can see it. On a scale of 100, the rivalry between these two is 101, and it is uneditable.
To be honest, no one predicts a Liverpool win. Not even from the Liverpool fans. But those who do predict for a Liverpool win are actually hoping for one. The thing about Liverpool is, never lose hope. I read in liverpoolfc.tv official forum, someone said that in post-Dalglish era, we always hope. Against Juventus leading to our 2005 Europe triumph, there was this one banner which remained to be my favorite ever. "Make us dream." Nothing, in three words, can ever be so meaningful than that. Liverpool used to be the team to beat, Liverpool won seven league titles out of eleven throughout 1979-80 to 1989-90, Liverpool won three European titles in five seasons from 1976-77 to 1980-81. Now, truthfully speaking, we are no longer of such superiority. Still, it gives me great pride in supporting this club through thick and thin. I don't think what we've experienced as a Liverpool fan is comparable to other clubs out there. Liverpool is not the best, but supporting them is better than the best.
I hate to anticipate a defeat, I will not anticipate for a defeat. When was the last time Liverpool scored against ManU? Crouch? In FA Cup? I think so. But Liverpool never stops creating chances. This time (just as any other times) we have to put the ball in the net. Then we'll have confidence. And a great indescribable joy to me, and my fellow Liverpool fans.
The greatest weekend for me is when Manchester United lose and Liverpool win. It happened that week, when Portsmouth defeated United in the FA Cup and Liverpool won against Newcastle. Now it can happen again. Let us hope for it.
You'll Never Walk Alone.
No comments:
Post a Comment