16 March 2008

What Happened on the 15th of March 2008

8th of March 2008 was an eventful day for me. A week later, it was less eventful, nevertheless, it is an important day in my history.

As the previous years, I was awakened by the numerous SMSes of birthday wishes by people I hardly even know or remember their birthdays. Yea, I'm sorry for my forgetfulness (or rather, ignorance) of remembering your birthdays. Thank you, though, for remembering mine. XD

New Straits Times had the date March 15 on their front page. What significance does that date brings? It states there (on the front page) in small fonts that Julius Caesar was assassinated on that date.

But that was not important to me. March 15 is my birthday, but it would be more special if the date marked a special event in humankind history rather than an assassination that occurred thousands of years ago.

There is. In fact, it is such an important event, it hugely affects my life.
Liverpool FC was formed on the 15th of March 1892. It was at John Houlding's house in Anfield Road that he and his closest friends left from Everton FC, formed a new club. William E. Barclay, a great football enthusiast, strongly suggested that they should go on with a new name: Liverpool.
Extracted from the official website.
This anniversary is often not celebrated. I don't know why. I guess there are a lot more important dates in the club's history more worthwhile to be celebrated. The official website only had a small mention in their 'On This Day' column, but that's about it.

I did not get any presents because I already got it last week, but Liverpool owe me one last big present: 3 points. A clash in fixtures with dreadful Man United is always bad. Their fans tend to conquer all available mamak stalls to watch their team. I'm left searching for TVs which shows the team in all-red. Luckily we found one, a mamak stall that has two ASTRO decoders (I'm talking about Selasih, not Ameeth, because the latter had some TV problems).

Unfortunately, by the time I arrived, Liverpool already trailed by a goal. But then, Javier Macsherano scored his first ever goal for Liverpool (yeah, finally) and Torres wrapped the points with his 20th in the league, making him the first Liverpool player since Robbie Fowler to hit the mark. Gerrard, as usual, the provider for Torres' goal.

And new daddy Xabi Alonso almost made it three years in a row to score from inside his own half in the fourth minute of injury time. The moment Marcus Hahnemann came forward in Reading's last freekick of the match, I said, "C'mon Alonso, another one." It almost came. Too bad, only almost.

Still, it was a good day for me. The next few days will be excruciating for me, I have I don't know how many reports I need to submit within one week. At least I had a great 22nd birthday.

And actually, my birthday is on the 4th of Rajab 1406. But people don't celebrate their birthdays on that calendar, do they? Even I forget that date sometimes.

3 comments: