Too late, is it? 8th of March? Today is already 14th. But it's a day I had to tell.
To most of us Malaysians, that specific date was significant for us for the 12th General Elections. To me, yes, that is one point. One out of three major things that happened to me.
1. Family Gathering
OK I will write the three things chronologically. Voting starts at, well, I don't know, 8? Or 9? But I didn't vote. It is close to a year since my 21st birthday, but I never bothered to register. That's why I didn't vote.
But so too was most of my family (I suppose). My auntie made a family gathering at Sheraton (if I'm not mistaken) to celebrate our family's March 'babies'. I'm one of them. Yay!
OK cut short. I'm not very good in story-telling anyway. We had lunch, then proceeded to the gift-giving ceremony. I got a Liverpool t-shirt, a pair of futsal shoes, a multi-purpose cooker and a really nice 'thumb' (I don't know what you call that, the thing where you stick at a glass surface to hang things). Hahah. Really nice gifts. I love all of them.
But the best gift I got is from my own family. Those gifts above are from the other families (although some of it are from my family, too). My mom did ask me, what do I want for my birthday. I'm not supposed to answer that, do I? Although I did have some things in mind, actually. I wanted a graphics card, and a speaker.
Since I really wanted those things, anything else as a birthday gift might have disappointed me. It is not good to expect something for your birthday, but this time I did. And worse, when they ask me, I refuse to answer.
But then, I got something even better than I expected. I wanted a 2600XT, the best available graphics card for AGP. Instead, I got a 3870 DDR4, and a new motherboard to go with the PCI-E graphics card. And an AMD X2 too!
I couldn't ask for more. I know they don't know about my blog, but I still wanna say, THANK YOU GUYS! (I did say thanks to them offline.)
2. The Cup of Dreams
I wanted to write a post on this. FA Cup, the world's oldest knockout competition, but slowly losing its reputation to more luxurious competitions, the Premier League and Champions League. But FA Cup is special because it gives smaller clubs to play against big teams, things dreams are made of.
Liverpool had a wonderful draw, meeting Luton of League One, Havant and Waterlooville of Conference South and Barnsley of Championship, avoiding any Premiership opposition in their 3rd, 4th and 5th rounds. Amazingly, they got stuck against the Championship relegation battlers at home. It is a fairytale run for all their opposition; I still wish that I would write on each of their story later on.
But OK now the focus is off Liverpool. They have already been knocked out. Let's focus on the remaining teams. When Barnsley was drawn against Chelsea, I joked to a Blues fan, "Beware of Barnsley, they're really good."
Not there yet. Barnsley play Chelsea around 1am in Malaysia. The FA Cup 6th round started with the only All-Premiership tie where Portsmouth visit Manchester United. I had nothing to do, so I watched it with my father. I will always hope for ManU to lose, but in most cases, they are expected to win, so if they do, no surprises there. It was goalless for quite some time, my dad got bored, occasionally switching to All-England (where we watched the demise of Tan Fook-Wan Wah and also Chong Wei). Somewhere in the second half, ManU was really attacking the Pompey defence, and he did not switch the channels anymore. The goal was coming. It had to come. Carrick somehow failed to score with the goal gaping open, Evra hit the post later on, and there was numerous chances where the ball just flashed across the goal and no one to tap it in. Then James hit the ball up the field and Baros got it. He lays it off to Kranjcar where he lured two defenders to him. He laid it off back to Baros, who was brought down by Kuszczak. The replacement 'keeper was sent off, and Rio Ferdinand had to take the goal. It was a sight to behold, hahah. I wanted to see Ferdinand making saves, but Portsmouth did not attack after that, even with their numerical advantage. Still, it was hell of a win for Redknapp's boys. A real definition of smash-and-grab.
Liverpool won in the Premier League against Newcastle, Gerrard and Torres linking up to a superb display. By definition, it should make it my best weekend ever. Best weekend ever is when Liverpool win and ManU lose simultaneously, and the best weekend ever can happen as many times as it wishes. XD
I did not watch Chelsea play, but to an incredible shock the next morning, Barnsley won! Wow.
3. General Election
While I was watching Liverpool play, everyone else including my fellow Kopites are following the updates of the 12th General Election. Some incredible surprises early on, Samy Vellu and Shahrizat lost their parliamentary seats. PAS was leading at Kedah. But I'm too lazy to wait one by one for the results, so I opted to sleep first and just read the news tomorrow morning.
Why I did not vote? First of all, I don't know how to register. Even if I did register, I don't know who will I be voting for. And most importantly, whoever wins, will there be any difference?
Still, actually (wow, I'm being very honest here) I was hoping for a change. I mean, I hope BN does not goes the two-thirds majority in the parliament and in the states. I hate when they dominate the media, all the billboards was covered with Promise, Proven, Secure etc. while the papers and television was full of them.
Extraordinarily, when NST came out the next day, the Malaysian map was patchy with blue, green and red states. Blue means BN of course, and green means PAS. But Penang, Kedah, Perak and Selangor will be governed by the opposition coalition. Wow. Somewhat my dream come true. I'm still 22 (oh not yet actually), what do I know about politics? What good will these oppositions be? I don't know, but it is always nice to try something new. BN has never been weaker, when other times do these opposition get their chance to win? Now that they've won, they have a point to prove to the rakyat. They'll try to be better than BN so that the voters will stick to them next time around.
So there goes my incredible 8th of March. I will write about Inter Milan later OK. For now, ciao.
To most of us Malaysians, that specific date was significant for us for the 12th General Elections. To me, yes, that is one point. One out of three major things that happened to me.
1. Family Gathering
OK I will write the three things chronologically. Voting starts at, well, I don't know, 8? Or 9? But I didn't vote. It is close to a year since my 21st birthday, but I never bothered to register. That's why I didn't vote.
But so too was most of my family (I suppose). My auntie made a family gathering at Sheraton (if I'm not mistaken) to celebrate our family's March 'babies'. I'm one of them. Yay!
OK cut short. I'm not very good in story-telling anyway. We had lunch, then proceeded to the gift-giving ceremony. I got a Liverpool t-shirt, a pair of futsal shoes, a multi-purpose cooker and a really nice 'thumb' (I don't know what you call that, the thing where you stick at a glass surface to hang things). Hahah. Really nice gifts. I love all of them.
But the best gift I got is from my own family. Those gifts above are from the other families (although some of it are from my family, too). My mom did ask me, what do I want for my birthday. I'm not supposed to answer that, do I? Although I did have some things in mind, actually. I wanted a graphics card, and a speaker.
Since I really wanted those things, anything else as a birthday gift might have disappointed me. It is not good to expect something for your birthday, but this time I did. And worse, when they ask me, I refuse to answer.
But then, I got something even better than I expected. I wanted a 2600XT, the best available graphics card for AGP. Instead, I got a 3870 DDR4, and a new motherboard to go with the PCI-E graphics card. And an AMD X2 too!
I couldn't ask for more. I know they don't know about my blog, but I still wanna say, THANK YOU GUYS! (I did say thanks to them offline.)
2. The Cup of Dreams
I wanted to write a post on this. FA Cup, the world's oldest knockout competition, but slowly losing its reputation to more luxurious competitions, the Premier League and Champions League. But FA Cup is special because it gives smaller clubs to play against big teams, things dreams are made of.
Liverpool had a wonderful draw, meeting Luton of League One, Havant and Waterlooville of Conference South and Barnsley of Championship, avoiding any Premiership opposition in their 3rd, 4th and 5th rounds. Amazingly, they got stuck against the Championship relegation battlers at home. It is a fairytale run for all their opposition; I still wish that I would write on each of their story later on.
But OK now the focus is off Liverpool. They have already been knocked out. Let's focus on the remaining teams. When Barnsley was drawn against Chelsea, I joked to a Blues fan, "Beware of Barnsley, they're really good."
Not there yet. Barnsley play Chelsea around 1am in Malaysia. The FA Cup 6th round started with the only All-Premiership tie where Portsmouth visit Manchester United. I had nothing to do, so I watched it with my father. I will always hope for ManU to lose, but in most cases, they are expected to win, so if they do, no surprises there. It was goalless for quite some time, my dad got bored, occasionally switching to All-England (where we watched the demise of Tan Fook-Wan Wah and also Chong Wei). Somewhere in the second half, ManU was really attacking the Pompey defence, and he did not switch the channels anymore. The goal was coming. It had to come. Carrick somehow failed to score with the goal gaping open, Evra hit the post later on, and there was numerous chances where the ball just flashed across the goal and no one to tap it in. Then James hit the ball up the field and Baros got it. He lays it off to Kranjcar where he lured two defenders to him. He laid it off back to Baros, who was brought down by Kuszczak. The replacement 'keeper was sent off, and Rio Ferdinand had to take the goal. It was a sight to behold, hahah. I wanted to see Ferdinand making saves, but Portsmouth did not attack after that, even with their numerical advantage. Still, it was hell of a win for Redknapp's boys. A real definition of smash-and-grab.
Liverpool won in the Premier League against Newcastle, Gerrard and Torres linking up to a superb display. By definition, it should make it my best weekend ever. Best weekend ever is when Liverpool win and ManU lose simultaneously, and the best weekend ever can happen as many times as it wishes. XD
I did not watch Chelsea play, but to an incredible shock the next morning, Barnsley won! Wow.
3. General Election
While I was watching Liverpool play, everyone else including my fellow Kopites are following the updates of the 12th General Election. Some incredible surprises early on, Samy Vellu and Shahrizat lost their parliamentary seats. PAS was leading at Kedah. But I'm too lazy to wait one by one for the results, so I opted to sleep first and just read the news tomorrow morning.
Why I did not vote? First of all, I don't know how to register. Even if I did register, I don't know who will I be voting for. And most importantly, whoever wins, will there be any difference?
Still, actually (wow, I'm being very honest here) I was hoping for a change. I mean, I hope BN does not goes the two-thirds majority in the parliament and in the states. I hate when they dominate the media, all the billboards was covered with Promise, Proven, Secure etc. while the papers and television was full of them.
Extraordinarily, when NST came out the next day, the Malaysian map was patchy with blue, green and red states. Blue means BN of course, and green means PAS. But Penang, Kedah, Perak and Selangor will be governed by the opposition coalition. Wow. Somewhat my dream come true. I'm still 22 (oh not yet actually), what do I know about politics? What good will these oppositions be? I don't know, but it is always nice to try something new. BN has never been weaker, when other times do these opposition get their chance to win? Now that they've won, they have a point to prove to the rakyat. They'll try to be better than BN so that the voters will stick to them next time around.
So there goes my incredible 8th of March. I will write about Inter Milan later OK. For now, ciao.
No comments:
Post a Comment