16 November 2007

Tribute to Love Song

It'll be a long way before I first post something about love, so let me start with this.

As almost accurately pointed by [re-arrange], I have an intense liking towards music, and yet I have never posted anything about it.

Love has always been the most popular theme for song and lyric writing. Back when I was young, I asked my mother once, "Mom, why people keep singing about love?"

To be honest, songs never really affected my lyrically. A lot of songs in my playlist have political themes and even blasphemy, none of them have actually changed the way I think. Love songs are no different.

And this song is no different. It is just another love song, with another love lyrics, but I can assure you this is the best damn love song ever. Not even Aerosmith's I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing (or any other legendary love songs) can match the supreme heights of song. Justifiably, the name of the best love song is so aptly named: Love Song.

This tribute to the best love song is to 311 as the performer but more so to The Cure as the songwriter. Love Song featured in The Cure's 1989 album Disintegration. I don't know how good the album performed in the sales, but SouthPark's creators did mentioned that Disintegration is the best album ever in one of their Season 1 episode.

How the hell did I manage to listen and even like a song that was released when I was three years old? When the movie '50 First Dates' came out, 311's cover of this song was released as the soundtrack. And I immediately fell in love with it. I listened to this song countless times at my home, trying to convince everyone that this song is hell of a song, then burning a CD so that I could hear it at UTP. At that time, I was in Foundation 1 and yet to have a PC, so I listened on my CD Walkman®. The burned CD will usually in a very bad condition and most of the time my Walkman failed to read it, so I had to walk all the way from the Old V5 to Block 2 just to listen to that song. And I did that almost everyday.

And I have to mention, I believe 311's version of this song feature one of my favorite bass performance in a song.

If you could read the entry of this song in Wikipedia, "Robert Smith originally wrote the song for his long-time girlfriend and then fiancée, Mary, as a wedding present. They are still married." What an incredible wedding gift.

It peaked at #2 in the Billboard Hot 100. And 15 years after the The Cure's release, 311's cover version managed to peak at #1 of Modern Rock Charts.

No comments:

Post a Comment